Joining the IFSM
Grades of Membership
Membership of the IFSM is available in the following grades:
- Life Fellow
All applications have to be approved by the Membership Committee, Council or at an Annual General Meeting. The Institute will assess every applicant for his or her appropriate grade of membership based on a number of criteria but especially:
- Educational and academic qualifications relevant to the objectives of the Institute,
- Vocational qualifications, training and
Any member seeking transfer to a higher grade of membership should be able to prove and demonstrate academic qualifications, vocational training and experience appropriate for the grade of membership being applied for. A non-refundable administration fee of £45 should be included with the application for transfer. Membership upgrade application forms may be downloaded here: Membership Upgrade Application Form
Notes & Downloads:
- For a fuller explanation of these grades see our Rules and Regulations for entry to Grades of Membership
- Application forms may be downloaded here: Membership Application Form
- Members are reminded to keep the Institute updated with any changes in contact details. Contact details should be forwarded to [email protected]
- Membership, risk assessor and course accreditation fees are due each year in January and the reminders are sent out late in that month. To avoid a clashes with the different types of fees our reminder letters, are staggered accordingly.
Every person applying for the grade of Student shall satisfy the Council that they are engaged in part time or full time fire safety management employment or are studying within the fields of fire safety and fire engineering. Student application forms may be downloaded here: Student Application Form
Every person who wishes to apply or transfer into the grade of Technician shall satisfy the Council that they meet the requirements set out in the ‘Rules and Regulations for Entry to Grades of Membership’.
Technician Membership (TIFSM) Grade may be available to all persons who meet the following requirements:
- Have at least two years of training and experience in relevant fields of fire safety management/engineering, and
- have academic or vocational achievements/qualifications.
Every person who wishes to apply or transfer to the grade of Associate shall satisfy the Council that they meet the requirements set out in the ‘Rules and Regulations for Entry to Grades of Membership’.
Associate Membership (AIFSM) may be available to persons who are engaged in fire safety management or a related position, or where the person has a responsibility for fire prevention advice or fire safety in either an advisory or enforcement role.
Every person who wishes to apply or transfer to the grade of Member shall satisfy the Council that they meet the requirements set out in the ‘Rules and Regulations for Entry to Grades of Membership’.
The Member (MIFSM) Grade may be extended to eminently qualified persons who, in the opinion of the Membership Committee, hold appropriate/equivalent qualifications.
Membership as a Fellow (FIFSM) is only by election at an Annual General Meeting.
Life Fellow. FIFSM (Life)
This is the highest grade of membership of the Institute and is by way of nomination only.
Nominees for election to Life Fellow (FIFSM (Life)) will not normally be below the age of sixty (60) and will have served and represented the Institute at the highest level on many occasions over the years and will also have made a significant contribution to the recognition of the Institute at both national and international level.
This is a grade that carries no post nominals and is meant for businesses or companies who wish to be associated with the Institute. It will be expected that an Affiliate Member will have at least one corporate member of the Institute within the organisation that is applying for the grade. The Affiliate member will have the right to use the logo specifically designed for Affiliate members on its corporate administrative features. Affiliate application forms may be downloaded here: Affiliate Application Form